tutorial

Project #8: Worked Example Screencast

This week was a bit difficult for me as I was tasked with creating a worked example screencast for one of my courses.  Worked examples are not a foreign concept for me, and are often created by the math faculty at the university in which I am employed.  I was initially going to create a worked example on how to use the Lightboard technology we have, but I needed more training on the process.  Therefore, I asked my co-instructional designer her opinion on what we needed a worked example for, and we decided I should create one on how to create an accessible syllabus.

I was lucky that I already had so many technology options at my disposal because of my job.  I decided to use Camtasia to record my screencast and audio.  Before I could even begin recording, I had to revise the syllabus template we were using previously and send it off for approval.  Then, I had to write my script.  I wanted to use the quizzing feature within Camtasia, so I wrote a brief quiz for the video.

Finally, it was time to record.  I had difficulty with my mic, but eventually figured it out.  I was able to use my mic, but not my headphones as I only have on plug-in, but two cables for my headset.  I recorded the video and audio in sections, spliced the sections together, and then added call-outs, captions, a title screen, and arrows to show where I was clicking in the video.  All in all, the entire process from start to finish probably took about five hours.

I’d like to describe my video in greater detail.  One of the things our eLearning department requires is for instructors to create an accessible syllabus.  We are looking for the syllabus to be properly set up for a screen reader to easily relay the information to the screen reader user.  Headings and blank characters have been the main problems in the syllabi we have reviewed in the past, therefore those two areas became my focus, along with how to run an accessibility checker.  For the purpose of this assignment, I will not be providing the documents shown in the video as I do not have permission.  The content within the video is meant for GFCMSU faculty only, but could become Creative Commons if I pursue it.

I thoroughly enjoyed creating this worked example.  It provided me with the understanding of just how time consuming it can be to create excellent content.  I can further empathize with the instructors I assist because of this assignment.

Project #2: Static Multimedia Instruction

Click link below to download .pdf of project

how-to-create-and-organize-a-google-scholar-library

I recently designed a static multimedia instruction project using a web 2.0 tool called “Clarify”.  Clarify makes it easy to take screenshots, type instructions, and download the document for distribution.

As a professional familiar with design processes, I decided to follow the ADDIE (analysis, design, development, implementation, evaluation) process model.  First, I thought of a problem I wanted to help rectify, as that is generally the purpose of a tutorial.  The problem I selected was how to use Google Scholar, specifically to conduct research, save articles, and sort the library according to user preferences.  I determined the users of the tutorial would be adolescents and adults, so I decided use language comparable to a newspaper article.

The learner objectives were created at this point to help me direct my design.  The learner objectives are: After following the steps in this tutorial, you will be able to create your own Google Scholar library.  Additionally, you will be able to organize your Google Scholar library according to your own labels.

The design process came next, along with the need to become familiar with the web 2.0 tool, Clarify.  I decided to practice creating a library and organizing my library with labels I had created.  I concluded that 12 steps would be sufficient enough to thoroughly explain the process.  Once I developed the 12 steps, I considered what screenshots I would need to illustrate the steps.

Finally, it was time to create the document.  I knew the steps I was going to use, so I started each step by taking a screenshot.  I then titled the step, and described the step in detail.  The multimedia principle was considered by including both graphics and words.  Clarify made it easy to apply the contiguity principle because the layout ensured that the screenshot was on the same page as the step and directions.  I added red arrows with descriptions of where the arrow was pointing to illustrate important content versus using a graphic legend.

Although I do not have an audience for implementation and evaluation, I hope my colleagues that are unfamiliar with Google Scholar library will use my tutorial.  I plan to save the tutorial for future distribution, as it will be used when I ask students to conduct research.